Monday, March 30, 2009

Running Far


I am beginning to feel like a real runner.

This morning I got up before dawn and ran 14 miles -- seven miles across the Marina through Venice Beach all the way to the Santa Monica Pier and back. And for the most part, I finished feeling great.

Training for this marathon (which I have yet to decide to run) has been a really great experience so far. It has challenged me both physically and psychologically, maybe even spiritually.

Last year one of my friends who ran the LA Marathon mentioned something about all the people, “running for Jesus.” I think he was referring to all the runners wearing Christian T-shirts with Bible verses. I thought it was kind of weird.

But now that I am taking on long runs, it kind of makes sense to me. It doesn't seem strange that Christians would identify with their faith as they experienced a test of perseverance.

Persevering through physical training is kind of like inventing your own crisis.

And the Bible speaks to people of faith during crisis.

After the first 10 miles of my run, about the time my knees started reminding me that I don't usually run this far, my MP3 player cycled through the last of the upbeat running mix --the long mix with the really stupid songs like Nickelback’s “Rockstar” and Evanescence/Linkin Park "Wake Me Up;" it began playing a folder of worship music that Kip had downloaded to practice for Sunday.

The songs were not really “running” songs, but the words were beautiful – inspirational in every sense. Just as I was beginning to look longingly down the road, wondering if I would make it the last few miles, Lincoln Brewster’s Everlasting God played. The song finishes with the really cute little kid quoting Isaiah 40: 28-31.

“ …….Even youths will become weak and tired. And young men will fall exhausted, but those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.”

So I kept on running -- even sprinted at the end.

1 comment:

  1. That is so good for you! i ran 12 on sunday witht the students. i am really enjoying it too. who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete