Monday, April 12, 2010

My Numbered Days

My freshman year in college I had a psychology professor, a seemingly ancient man, who always wore a beanie and shuffled absent-minded to the front of the class every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for a 60-minute lecture of basic human behavior.

I really can’t remember anything he said about psychology.

I can’t even remember his name.

But I remember how he began his class every day.

He opened a Bible, read a verse, said a prayer.

It seemed random at first -- a familiar one here, another one there. But there were two that he came back to frequently. And one that quietly took hold of my heart and became my life mantra.

“Lord, teach me to number my days, that I may gain a heart of wisdom.”

I have not blogged much this year as journaling has been crowded out by other activities, but I have missed it. Somehow recording life helps me to take everything in perspective. It’s not just a log of the events that I pass through – running the marathon, sailing, camping, vacations, Easter dinner, conversations with friends.

It’s about being thankful for the moments in life I get, being honest about failures and brokenness and need for healing. It’s about recognizing life now and living forward.

“ … that I may gain a heart of wisdom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment